Stage Your Home For That Fall Feeling!
Everyone associates fall with “back to school”, and for many it is a welcome albeit stressful change. My kids are grown now and I have to say that fall feels more like coming “Back to Home” to me.
We spend the summer months frantically trying to capture every moment of the glorious weather out of doors. Long hot days slowly flow into long balmy and hopefully breezy evenings. We abandon our kitchens for the BBQ grill and our family rooms for the patio.
If you’re like me you get a bit more relaxed about vacuuming and dusting in the summertime too; saving it for a rainy day. Well, that rainy day is almost here.
But what if you are trying to sell your home?
It may be that it has been on the market, throughout the summer; (in which case you need to call or email me ASAP!) or you may be just preparing to list. Contrary to popular belief, real estate is a year-round business and there is opportunity to be had at every season. So, here are some of my favorite tips to stage your home this autumn:
- First and foremost, as soon after Labor Day as possible, lovingly pack away all of your summer accessories—yes, even the seashells and driftwood. Get rid of anything that will just create clutter. Think in terms of creating a “clean slate” to work with.
- When you are finished packing, give the house a good cleaning. Vacuum up all the sand! Window washing isn’t just for spring, it is just as important as the days begin to get shorter. Remember, good light sells a house!
- The same goes for the outside of the home. Time to pull out those spring annuals and prepare for the mums, cabbages and pumpkins!
- The kitchen is the heart of every home and the number one room in terms of tugging at the heartstrings of your buyer. Keep your kitchen squeaky clean and countertops clear. Only accent with a few well-chosen seasonal items, like a basket or bowl of Granny Smith apples or some seasonal assorted squash. New kitchen towels in pretty fall patterns and colors are another inexpensive way to dress up and welcome the season. There are also many wonderful seasonal candles available that can summon a warm fuzzy feeling like a home made pie…just be careful not to overdo it.
- Other ways to make your home more appealing to potential buyers, especially as the weather turns cooler is to create a cozy feeling in each room. Change out spring and summer pillows for warm textural fabrics and maybe fun faux furs. Add a throw in soft neutral fall tones to curl up in on those chilly autumn evenings.
- Repeat the same process in bedrooms and baths and you are sure to please!
These tips a great first step in the preparation of your home sale marketing.
If your goal is for your home to reach its maximum selling potential, call me.
Only a professional can elevate your home to that status.
Happy Staging! Happy Selling!